WHAT ARE ‘COOKIES’?
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application. Your web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome) then sends these cookies back to the website on each subsequent visit so that they can recognise you and remember things like personalised details or user preferences.
Cookies are very useful and do lots of different jobs, helping to make your experience on our website as enjoyable and useful as possible. They remember your preferences and generally improve your experience.
There are two different types of cookie:
- Session Cookies:
- These only last for your online session and disappear from your computer or device when you close your browser.
- Persistent Cookies:
- These stay on your computer or device after the browser has been closed and last for the period of time specified in the cookie. These persistent cookies are activated each time you visit the site where the cookie was generated.
WHICH COOKIES DO WE USE?
When you use our website or mobile site, the following categories of cookies may be set on your device:
- ‘Strictly Necessary' Cookies
- These cookies are essential because they help you to move around our websites and use features such as the Subscriptions page. Without these cookies the website simply would not work properly. These cookies do not gather information about you.
- Functional Cookies
- These cookies allow websites to remember choices you make (such as your username and language preferences). They allow us to provide you with enhanced and more personal features. The information these cookies collect will not allow us to identify you personally.
- Analytics Cookies
- In order to keep our website and mobile site relevant, easy to use and up to date, we use web analytics services such as Google Analytics to help us understand how people use them. For example, we can see which parts of our websites are most popular and make sure we are constantly updating and improving our content. The information we collect is anonymous and only used for statistical purposes.
- Embedded Content and Third-Party Cookies
- To help us deliver the best possible content, we sometimes use third party tools to embed photos and video content from websites such as YouTube, Facebook and Instagram. As a result, when you visit a page containing such content, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. We do not control the use of these cookies and cannot access them. You should check the third-party websites for more information about these cookies.
Across our websites and mobile site, you will also see embedded ‘share’ buttons. These enable you to easily share content with friends through a number of popular social networks. When you click on one of these buttons, a cookie may be set by the service you have chosen to share content through. Again, OHSA does not control these cookies and cannot access them.
We don’t sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).